Tuesday 1 April 2014

Evaluation - 4 - What have you learned from your audience feedback?


Filmed Audience Feedback


To get a true reaction of what the different age groups truly thought of my animation, I asked some members of my family that haven’t seen any part of my short film to watch my animations. I got 3 different age groups to do this for me. I got the younger children ages 5-10, I got a middle aged group and some older grandparents to watch it. When they were watching it they had no idea that they were been filmed. At the start I told them that I just wanted them to watch it and I was going to record them answering some of my questions for me afterwards. But what I didn’t tell them was I was recording them on my built in web cam on my laptop. Therefore all the reactions you see in the video are 100% real.
The younger aged children were my target audience age. Sadly I miss calculated when setting up the secret camera and cut one of the boys off but we do see some of him. Just from watching their reaction I found some interesting things. I mostly saw some very positive things, for example I could see them bobbing along to the catchy theme tune that it has and when it was a happy part, reinforced by the music, you could see them all cracking a smile. So this was very positive and means they understood the story and understood the happy and sad parts.  The only thing that doesn’t look to good is the face the boy is the middle was pulling who is aged 5. He is sat with his head in his hand and looks very board, but he does crack a smile and few times telling me that he might actually enjoy it.
The middle aged group gave a very positive reaction to my animation. As they are adults who have children they are used to see pre-existing animations for children. As a hole they really seemed to enjoy the animation because they were laughing at the funny parts and felt sympathy at the sad parts. They also made comments like ‘you can tell so much just from his eyes’. Even though they are not my target audience, they still really enjoyed it. Whether this is because they know that children will like it, therefore they enjoy it knowing that or they did generally enjoy it, either way they seemed to have fun watching it.    
The elderly age group gave me the most interesting reaction to it. Throughout the hole animation there wasn’t a greater amount of emotion showed. They did make a few positive comments but not as much as the middle aged people. There could be a few reasons for this. The biggest thought I have about this is, is because the target age is 5 and they will be a fair bit older, therefore they may not understand it and find it boring because it’s too simple to keep them engaged.
When I interviewed them afterward I got some very useful information off them. The biggest relief for me to find out was the little boy in the middle did really enjoy it as he gave me a 10/10, he said to me that just how he watches things. Overall the feedback was very good as they said almost everything that I wanted them to say. They made some comments about changing the animation were the big Jock lands on the wire, but due to time that will have to be left I can’t change that. The younger boys did make some comments about the birds talking which was very interesting for me to find out as other feedback as resulted in leaving it as it is.   

No comments:

Post a Comment